Milton and Gloria Barlow
Founders of the Barlow Endowment for Music Composition
In 1983 Milton A. and Gloria Barlow established the Barlow Endowment for Music Composition at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. The Endowment has subsequently been dedicated to promoting excellence in music composition.
Milton Barlow enjoyed a distinguished career in business and Church activities during the 60 years he and Gloria lived in the metropolitan Washington, DC area. In 1929 he served a three-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Germany and Austria. After completing his graduate studies at the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration, he was employed by the Marriott organization and performed 23 years as a senior executive. In 1964 Milton Barlow launched a successful career in real estate development.
In 1986, three years after the inception of the Barlow Endowment for Music Composition, the Barlows established the Milton A. and Gloria G. Barlow Family Foundation, which contributed to the building of the Museum of Art at Brigham Young University. In 1993, Milton Barlow funded the acquisition of a 13-rank Draker pipe organ at Dixie College in St. George, Utah in commemoration of his wife, Gloria G. Barlow, who passed away on December 1, 1992.
Milton Barlow was president of the board of trustees of the Washington Hospital Center. He was also active on the boards of the Marriott Corporation, the Diversified Education and Research Corporation, the Washington Chapter of the American Red Cross, and as a member of the Washington Council Executive Committee of the Boy Scouts of America.
For his lifetime of dedication and service, Milton A. Barlow was honored in 1996 by Brigham Young University with the Presidential Citation and Medallion. He passed away on April 6, 2001.